The Hot Cross Buns recipe you need this easter…
We LOVE Easter – what other time can you gorge on chocolate all day and have it be totally acceptable? For when you’re getting a bit sick of the sweet stuff, why not knock up some delicious hot cross buns? Here’s our unique recipe for you to enjoy…
You may like: Cocoa and berry pavlova recipe
You will need:
- 300ml full-fat milk, plus 2 tbsp more
- 50g butter
- 500g strong bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 75g caster sugar
- 7g sachet fast-action or easy-blend yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g sultana
- 50g mixed peel
- zest 1 orange
- Raspberry jam for glazing
1) To begin, melt the butter in a microwave and combine together with the milk. Leave to cool.
2) Put the follow, sugar, salt and yeast together in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
3) Pour in the milk mixture as well as the egg, and combine fully.
4) Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a good ten minutes. We are looking for the dough to change in texture and to become much more elasticated. Transfer to a slightly oiled bowl, wrap in clingfilm and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
5) With the dough still in the bowl, add in the sultanas, mixed peel and orange zest and mix together.
6) Tip the dough onto a floured surface and shape to a long sausage shape, and portion your dough sizes. It’s up to you what size you want them but remember they will take longer to cook and prove the bigger they are.
7) Roll into balls and place on a lined baking tray. Cover with a proving bag or a towel and leave to prove again till doubled in size. This usually takes about an hour.
It’s a good idea to preheat the oven when you have about ten minutes left of proving time.
8) Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown and the bottom of the bun sounds hollow when tapped.
9) Leave to cool for about five minutes and finish off by glazing the top of the hot cross buns with jam to add a shine to the finished product.